Announcements & News
UPDATES ON MOVING FORWARD - Friday, May 15, 2020
We know you have a lot of questions about what future
phase guidelines mean for your favorite park programs and activities.
While the state of NY enters the Phase 1 reopenings this
weekend, we are working to create plans outlining what our offerings will look
like moving forward.
We ask that you remain patient with us as the safety and
health for our staff and the public will remain our top priority.
We would like nothing more than to click our feet and return to normal, but things will take time. As phased plans to reopen are confirmed, we will post them here! Stay healthy and safe. 😷
To ensure everyone’s safety, players on the courts should adhere to the following guidelines:
- Play with members of your own household whenever possible;
- Keep six (6) feet apart from other players and park users. A mask must be worn when social distances are not able to be maintained;
- Wash/sanitize hands before and after playing tennis;
- Avoid touching court nets, gates, fences and benches;
- Do not share equipment with other players. Sanitize equipment after play;
- Do not use the courts if you are feeling ill.
The list of parks with open
tennis courts are: Barry Park, Burnet
Park, Comfort Tyler Park, Homer Wheaton Park, Kirk Park, Lincoln Park, McChesney Park, Meachem Fields, Upper Onondaga Park, Roesler Park, Schiller Park, Sunnycrest Park, Thornden Park, and Wadsworth Park.
City tennis courts are free of charge and available on a first-come first-serve basis from dawn to dusk.
For questions regarding our tennis
courts, please call (315) 473-4330.
City of Syracuse Mayor Ben Walsh announced that the Department of Parks, Recreation and Youth Programs will open “Weekend Walks in the Parks” on weekends by closing roads to vehicles in four City parks.
“Weekend Walks in the Parks” will offer widened outdoor walking paths all day on Saturdays and Sundays, making it easier for people to enjoy city parks and practice social distancing. As residents are encouraged to stay at home to help stop the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), the designated time period for pedestrians to walk or run the mapped routes is designed to provide a safe and healthy alternative for people to maintain their physical and mental wellbeing.
The maps, located at the entryway of each park, show where people can park, where the road closures are, and outlines the routes that can be followed. Residents can visit any of the following park sites where the roads are closed to traffic for Weekend Walks in the Parks. Click on park name to download map:
• Burnet Park (Burnet Park Drive, Syracuse, NY 13204)
• Lincoln Park (140 Robinson St., Syracuse, NY 13203)
• Upper Onondaga Park (176 Onondaga Park Dr, Syracuse, NY 13207)
• Thornden Park (Thornden Park Drive Syracuse NY 13210)
Residents are also encouraged to frequent other parks with walking loops regularly closed to traffic such as Schiller Park, as well as parks with hiking trails such as Heath Park, Elmwood Park, and Sunnycrest Park. When visiting parks, residents are reminded to do so safely and responsibly.
Park visitors should:
• avoid congregating in groups of any size;
• allow safe distancing;
• be considerate when passing by at a safe distance; and
• remember athletic fields, basketball courts, bathrooms, benches, exercise equipment, picnic tables, and playgrounds are all closed.
Be safe. Wash hands often. Stay informed. #LetsTakeCareOfEachOther
SUMMER CAMP REGISTRATION DELAYED - Tuesday, March 31, 2020
HOW TO CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT
VISA, MASTERCARD and DISCOVER will be accepted. Be advised there will be a 2.7%, non-refundable, transaction fee applied to each credit card transaction (subject to change).
Department Refund Policy:
All program and reservation refunds are required to be submitted in writing 30 days from the start of the program or rental for a full refund, less the $5.00 processing fee, with the exception of aquatics programs. Aquatics programs must be submitted ten (10) days for a full refund, less the $5.00 processing fee. Please be advised that credit card transaction fees will not be refunded in any case. All refunds will be paid by check and take 2-4 weeks to process.